‘Panettone Gastronomico’ Savory Panettone
Panettone is one of the most known and loved Christmas cakes in Italy. Originally from Milan, this cupola-shaped sweet bread loaf – filled with raisins and candied fruits, according to the authentic Italian tradition – is now enjoyed worldwide.
Recently, however, there has been a rising trend of ‘Panettone Gastronomico’ or savory Panettone, which keeps the same form, but is sliced and filled with various salumi and accompanying condiments.
- 1.1 lbs. bread flour
- 1 cup milk lukewarm
- 3 egg yolks
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 5.5 tbsp at room temperature
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
1. Using the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour and egg yolks.
2. In a glass add the lukewarm milk and sugar, adding in the yeast and combining well. Then pour the mixture into the bowl with the flour.
3. Using a hook attachment on the electric mixer, knead well until the mixture is smooth and elastic.
4. Add the butter in, small amounts at a time. Once combined, add in the salt and knead well again.
5. Make the dough into a ball and leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in volume.
6. When ready, slightly knead it again and then transfer it to a greased 7-inch Panettone mold. Delicately brush the top with melted butter and keep it aside to rise until the top reaches the edge of the mold.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 355°F for 45 minutes or until a stick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Let it cool down completely, then wrap it with cling wrap and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days before slicing and filling it.
9. Be aware that to ensure the sliced layers remain together and soft, we suggest using a filling incorporating a cream cheese or condiment.
More from Veroni
Perfect balance between freshness and Veroni Mortadella…
We give you the perfect Mother’s Day meal to share today…