‘Panettone Gastronomico’ Savory Panettone
Panettone is one of the most known and loved Christmas cakes in Italy. Originally from Milan, this cupola-shaped sweet bread loaf – filled with raisins and candied fruits, according to the authentic Italian tradition – is now enjoyed worldwide.
Recently, however, there has been a rising trend of ‘Panettone Gastronomico’ or savory Panettone, which keeps the same form, but is sliced and filled with various salumi and accompanying condiments.
- 1.1 lbs. bread flour
- 1 cup milk lukewarm
- 3 egg yolks
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 5.5 tbsp at room temperature
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
1. Using the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour and egg yolks.
2. In a glass add the lukewarm milk and sugar, adding in the yeast and combining well. Then pour the mixture into the bowl with the flour.
3. Using a hook attachment on the electric mixer, knead well until the mixture is smooth and elastic.
4. Add the butter in, small amounts at a time. Once combined, add in the salt and knead well again.
5. Make the dough into a ball and leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in volume.
6. When ready, slightly knead it again and then transfer it to a greased 7-inch Panettone mold. Delicately brush the top with melted butter and keep it aside to rise until the top reaches the edge of the mold.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 355°F for 45 minutes or until a stick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Let it cool down completely, then wrap it with cling wrap and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days before slicing and filling it.
9. Be aware that to ensure the sliced layers remain together and soft, we suggest using a filling incorporating a cream cheese or condiment.
More from Veroni
An easy meal to bring over to friend’s or on your next outing…
A fun recipe to make with the kids or together with friends…
Veroni svela tutti i segreti della fase di lavorazione più importante
Get to know a cured meat from the Northern region of Trentino in Italy…
Il capitano della Nazionale Italiana protagonista della campagna social di Veroni Salumi per promuovere una colazione salata che aiuta il benessere di corpo e mente..